Friday 6 January 2012

Not Just Another: New Year Resolutions Problem


To start with this not just another mundane piece of writing, on how the author has broken his or her New Year “resolutions” or “promises”. (Wait! Is there a difference between them? Later.) I am pretty much bored of reading them everywhere on blogs and in print media. I am guessing the average Joe would be too. Here’s my deal: I haven’t quite started on my resolutions from day 1 or t=0. Some 6 days later, I am still postponing on starting with the resolutions.

Technically, there is a difference. Since I haven’t started any till now, then I haven’t broken them. I am still waiting to go ahead with them. I am staring at this situation with them same hesitance we have before stepping into a cold swimming pool or a cold shower in the winter mornings. I understand it is for my own good, but hey, my current life isn’t that bad. I am still doing a lot of good things as a person, so what if they don’t add up? Who said I’m perfect? Well neither is the guy in the office with a yoga certificate nor is the former prom queen with a flat tummy.

Well, this is how I shamefully defeat my ‘Christmas special: early by 30 mins’ alarm every morning and doze off for those precious 30 extra minutes (They mean a lot). Every day I postpone it to another. The rate at which I am going, I guess I’ll have to make a resolution next year, to start my other resolutions on time. But, wouldn’t that be a New Year promise? 

This makes me come to the point I raised earlier, about the difference between a New Year resolution and promise. After consulting some dictionaries, blogs and my own common sense, I come to the following. A resolution is a determination (or resolve) one makes to do an act. Whereas, a promise is primarily a vow one makes do an act. In other words, every promise is a resolution, but, every resolution is not a promise.

You cannot go back on promise, because it is like a contract you make with yourself or other people (parties, they call in law). However, a resolution may be broken. For instance, you can say that you were so moved by emotions at that time and so now you break your resolve or determination. But, if you make a promise then, boy you’re bound to it.

So, does this mean I am entitled to postpone my resolutions indefinitely, but I cannot push over promises? The answer: Yes/ No, is for you to decide. I leave it to my conscience. Whichever side wins in my head, it is still going to take a while. Till then, I might as well get on with my life and postpone the debut of the sensationally enigmatic and charismatic ‘Brand New Me’ to tomorrow, or maybe the day after or ….

Smart Alec: One of my resolutions is to write this blog more frequently. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. You have really got me thinking. Maybe I can also quit feeling guilty and make a fresh start this year itself.
    Like they say, to each his own.

    ReplyDelete